Democrats and Drug Pricing
Consider this your insider's guide to the 2020 Democratic candidates and their plans to overhaul the drug industry. From the mildest moderates to the staunchest progressives, nearly every Democrat seeking the party’s nomination for president next year has made drug pricing a central element of his or her campaign.
This 100-page report profiles each of the Democratic hopefuls running for president in 2020 — including long-shot candidates who may nevertheless be seen as picks for vice president or cabinet roles — and analyzes their positions on drug pricing and reforming the biopharma industry writ large. It aims to help policymakers, industry executives, lobbyists, investors, and consultants navigate the sweeping proposals put forth by the candidates. It also looks to provide a comprehensive overview of how the election is likely to influence public policy debates around the country in the coming year, and what a change of party in the White House could mean for the industry overall.
- Analysis of the 2020 candidates’ histories and policy platforms related to drug pricing, including shifts in their public positions, key bills they’ve introduced, and major votes they’ve taken. We’ve also included similar analysis of the Democratic candidates who have already exited the race, since many continue to serve in Congress or as governors, and could potentially be future vice presidential candidates or cabinet members.
- Unreported detail about campaign infrastructure as it relates to drug pricing, including information about key staff members who are shaping each candidates’ views on this issue.
- A Q&A between Democratic strategist and former senior Obama administration adviser David Axelrod and our executive editor, Rick Berke, who for more than a decade was the chief political correspondent of the New York Times.
- An essay about the 2020 election’s likely impact on the pharmaceutical industry by senior writer Matt Herper.
- Expert analysis from STAT’s authoritative beat reporters and editors about how leading candidates are viewed in the industry and the impact they could have if elected.
How it works
Add this report to your cart, and then complete the checkout process. Once you have, you'll receive an email with the link to download the full report file. This report is digital-only, so you will not receive a printout.
Take a peek at what's included in this report.